Welcome to the Year 6 Information page
Dear children and parents,
Welcome back for the start of the Summer term! For now at least, we're still following the same procedures as before the holidays in order to keep us all safe from COVID. As before, children need bring nothing from home except for PE kits (see Class Timetables in the links to the left for the relevant days for each class) and, if they choose to do so, lunches. We do recommend that, in spite of the sunshine, the children bring a warm top layer with them (as we will be opening all windows and doors to ventilate the classrooms) and also bring a sun hat and waterproof coat every day (as we will be going outside for fresh air as much as possible). Please encourage your child to apply suncream at home as the days continue to get brighter. Should your child need to self-isolate at home for any reason, they will find that weekly home learning tasks will continue to be posted on Google Classroom (see below for more information).
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us on the email addresses below.
Best wishes from The Year 6 Team
(Mrs Wellman, Mr Riley, Mrs Poynton, Dr Welchman,
Mrs Stanyon, Mrs Beckwith and Mrs Herbert)
EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR TEACHERS:
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (6R)
There are a number resources in the links to the left here on the year group webpage and on Google classroom which can help your child with their learning and organisation:
- Individual Class Timetables - these will be helpful if your child needs to self-isolate for a short period so they know which lessons to be doing for home learning.
- Knowledge Mats for our Summer topics - these are a useful resource for you to discuss your child's learning with them at home and will continue to be updated as the term progresses.
- Recommended Reads for Year 6.
- Homework will be posted on Google Classroom as it was before the most recent lockdown. Children should be learning their spellings and completing both Reading and Maths homework every week, ready to go through them with their teacher and have a spelling test on Friday. We recommend that they attempt their homework early in the week so that they can ask us for support in plenty of time if needed. Please do not send your child in with their completed homework, nor does it need to be submitted electronically. If you want to review their work with them at home, answers will be posted at the end of each week.
- in the event that your child needs to stay at home, awaiting a COVID-19 test result or self-isolating, you will find that weekly Home Learning tasks will continue to be posted on our Google Classroom (see below for how to access this). These will be aligned with what we are doing in school, so If your child is well enough to do them, it will help them to keep up with the rest of their class in English, Maths and Foundation Subjects. We won't be able to provide the same level of support for home learning once the majority of children have returned to school, but do email your child's class teacher if they are struggling with their home learning.
We hope that you and your children will find these resources helpful to support them with their learning. If you have any difficulties accessing them, then please contact us via email on the addresses given above.
Accessing Google Classroom for homework and home learning tasks: all children have been provided with a school Google login and password. This is in the form of email@example.com, where 'a' is their first initial and 'other' is their surname. This will allow them to login to google.com and access the Year 6 class on the school's Google Classroom:
Here they can see posts from the teachers (and respond with comments as needed).
If you click on Classwork at the top of the screen (as shown above), you will find weekly assignments for Maths and English homework as well as home learning tasks provided for any children needing to self-isolate.